Thursday, December 13, 2007

~Tu/W I worked with Lyt between Marshall & Middleburg. Awesome. I cannot describe the manic highs that working outdoors produces in me. The land of Mosby's Rangers, one of my childhood heroes (he grew up near where I grew up; he shot a fellow UVA student--imagine the news frenzy that would incur today). Dunno if I'd ever been above I-66 in that part of the Commonwealth before. Hope to go shooting pitchers out there. Drove back through the Manassas National Battlefield Park. So much blood shed in Virginia during that war.
~Monday afternoon my friend Joe showed me around his stomping grounds in NE, his 'hood; it was a really fun day off, made me wish I had a nice digi-SLR to get instant feedback on all those mental pix I made... an intensely photogenic area, with character.
~Forgot to get a Christmas tree while I was out there. Damn it.
~Must hit the Bayly before the 23rd to catch Bill Christenberry's show.
~Drank a lot of wine & beer last night (slowly--6pm-2am) & really didn't feel like waking up for work; was a lovely dark, damp day to spend in bed with a bunch of hot cookies & some good books (or a yummy girl ;).
~Sally Mann called me last week.
~Met up with Chris & Rachel in the 'burbs for a terribly boring opening at the Arlington Arts Center. Was a good reminder of why I live in the city... the monoculture of blandness across the river was very depressing. Here in my 'hood we've got shootings within walking distance, people of all races, cops racing by, bikes, cars, trucks, streetsweepers (even Tec-9s), dogs, cats, birds, trees, bums, drunks, bar-goers, workers of all sorts, androgynous couples, same-sex couples, heteros, babies, old folks, natives, transients, college education, high school education, no education, politicos (the Governor of Montana was in my bar last week, he shook my hand, & he tipped the doorman $100), jerks, nice folks, crazies (hi!), & so forth & so on.
~Really looking forward to our January show: Joe Mills & John Alexander. Alexander has a retrospective exhibit at the Smithsonian's American Art Museum opening next week on the 21st. Joe's work is crazy--I love it. The few Alexander pieces I've seen look crazy & awesome too. This show should kick ass.
-Well fed & feeling very elegant indeed, Babar went to the tailor.

3 comments:

mike said...

This is better than the last.

I like it!

One day, one day ... livin' the life.

mike said...

(What about

"gun shots within ear shot")

?

mike said...

You Came to NE and didn't stop by?