Monday, September 10, 2007

~Madeleine L'Engle died on Thursday. Read an Appreciation in the WaPo here.
~She wrote some of the many formative books of my, & my siblings', childhoods. The four of us were born between 1972-1979. Books were passed down at accelerating speeds, from Matthew to Elizabeth to Andrew to Margaret. Or they were read to a couple of us at once. My memory is faulty when I recall childhood. I had a great one I know, it just seems so long ago, playing with Gigi the Cairn Terrier, then Sandy the Golden Retriever, & on through the rest of the dogs. That leads to thoughts of burying my goldfish near Gigi's grave, digging graves for Sandy, Jonah, & Pippin... missing Bosco, who's been dead a little over a year... the couple of cats who were hit by cars... the all-important Maurice (named for Mr. Sendak, the great children's book author/illustrator, I remember eating strawberries when we went to a garden party for him when we were little), & I seem to have gone on a tangent away from books.
~L'Engle, Philip Pullman, Cynthia Voigt, Lloyd Alexander, Arthur Ransome, Olaf Stapledon.... So many good books in which one may meld one's imagination with the author's through their word structure to visit worlds that sometimes seem far-fetched. But if their fantastical visions are driven by ideas of hope, or create them in others, I hope that I may one day be so lucky as to have words so marvelous spring forth from my fingers & change someone's life. Here ye, here ye, Master &rew's oration is complete.
~In other news, I had a vision last week that I will build a book large enough in which to live. I've always had dreams of living in a book, but I never meant in the physical book itself, just in a story--I think it would be awesome--but now I think I will build a book for a living space. Its contents I have not yet finalized, but I'm imagining lots of stories, & fragments, & images: paintings, photos, sketches, studies, scrapbook stuff, just a giant book of deliriously delightful deliciousness designed for a dumbass like dis boy. D enD.