Thursday, February 22, 2007

2/22: To those of you who have known me for a while, I welcome your thoughts on this.

In the summer of 2004 when I was working as a carpenter with my friend Scott, he pointedly told about Asperger's Syndrome but I disregarded what he said and kept on ticking. I didn't read about it until yesterday, after my friend who's been pushing me hard (in her beautifully goodnatured and caring way) to communicate with her, asked if I knew about it. I saw myself in the descriptions, but I feel that it's a very broad and vaguely defined syndrome that could apply to many people... and don't want to categorize myself just to feel misguided relief that there are others like me. I see how I've followed patterns of treating people poorly and have permitted myself (and been permitted) to get away with it and not look myself square in the eyes about it. That's bad, as I've run into major turmoil since my friend has been holding my toes to the fire (for which I'm grateful, believe it or not) because she's a talker (hehe! :) and I've not been talking. Instead I've treated her like my family, which means that I've been taking her for granted, exposing her to the full scale of my rapid mood cycles, and in general treating her badly. I definitely push the envelope in other relationships too: roommates have been very forgiving, co-workers have given me lots of leeway, friends accept and put up with me, but it's just not fair of me. I'm aware of it. I wish to change.

9 comments:

Chris said...

I don't think so.

mike said...

Thanks for telling me.
I don't care.
It must be good for you.
Youre a good person.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I always thought mike had asperger's, not you Andrew.

charlie said...

Andrew, you still looking for a drummer? Yeah I play, not a big deal. Just something I have been doing since 6th grade...

wendy said...

had some down time at work...

read the bit from the link, seems to me like you do not have assburgers (although, i hear they are delicious). not sure why it matters so much? i can't understand why you would want to have a reason to blame what is "wrong" with you on a disorder. seems more like you just need to enbrace what/who you are. even if you do have (or think you have) asperger's, what does that change?

wendy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mike said...

Wendy has a rare disease in which she is constantly repeating herself.

It's called Stutter-Brain Syndrome or SBS.

Anonymous said...

Andrew may or may not have Asberger's Syndrome but Mike definitely has Tourette's Syndrome.

wendy said...

so I double clicked enter and as a result you found me out. me out.