Saturday, December 09, 2006

12/9: I've never slept with so many layers: 0-degree down mummy bag over fleece blanket over acrylic comforter over another fleece blanket and I'm wearing a fleece hoody, a hat, a poly-pro crewneck, two t-shirts, and poly-pro bottoms. Even during my 7-week trek across the West back in '01, when sleeping at elevations over 8,000' in September I only used my mummy bag with some sweatpants and a t-shirt, maybe occasionally a hat. Right now it's 22-degrees but feels like 12 outside, and my room must be close to freezing. Yes, Demon House is equipped with a full slate of modern amenities: custom drafts to keep your room cool in the winter and warm in the summer, a hot water heater to scald one if a toilet is flushed at the same time the shower is used, and a constant fear that the house may collapse around one's ears under the first minor snow load of the season--if not just for kicks during a strong wind. I love you 1841, but it's time for a major structural overhaul and renovation. (Slumlords suck.)

A good friend and classmate of mine just got hired as a suburban school's full-time substitute teacher! Yay! Congratulations Mrs. Etten! Maybe art school does give us real world job possibilities!

Another friend's car broke down Wednesday night on the Beltway close to midnight, and she (you know who you are! ;) asked me to wait with her for the towtruck. I'd worked a long day with Lyt, and had to hit the gallery in the morning, but that's a situation where you gladly (!) do what needs to be done... friends don't leave friends alone on the side of the road--especially I-495 in the middle of the night. By the time I got home it was after 2AM, but I was happy to have been called and would do it again at the drop of a hat.

So far my best intentions for Christmas gifts are being subverted by my annual lack of interest in the season of giving and continued procrastination in the land of &rew's Handmade Gifts. I bought a couple of new shirts, incense, and a present the other day, and ordered (my fourth pair of) Lowa shoes last night, but I've only been making silly postcards for people recently, no books, no photos, nothing substantial. Who knows if anyone will wind up getting anything? Marc said he's getting the house a tree today! 16 days to go.

This new Blogger beta is all right. It seems to work better in both Safari and Firefox. Hasn't crashed yet after a day of use. But damn the Google log-in BS.

It's about time to get out of bed and face the cold. My weekend is short... I work M/TU with Lyt, and TH/FR at the gallery. Stop by Hemphill Fine Arts Friday evening from 5-7, or Saturday and Sunday from 12-5 for a special Nazraeli Press book event.

That is all. End transmission.

No comments: